Followers

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fathers

I know a lot of people. At least I know more than what I thought I knew. Many of those people I am familiar with their fathers or I am aware of the relationships they had or didn't have with their fathers. Some are shining examples of what fathers should be. Others fall into the "less effective" categories of fathers. I consider myself somewhere in the middle.
In doing family history, I have also come across many examples along the same spectrum of fathers that all had histories that either commend them or condemn them. However, the overwhelming pattern that rose to the surface is the attitudes, commitments, and general well-being of the father was reflected in the family. Strong, protective, supportive father, begat a strong family. This is not to say the mother had no effect, but what I have seen is that the mothers influence seemed to be more individualistic. As their relationships grew close with their mothers, they were more secure, confident individuals. As many children related with their fathers in more of the "group" family sphere, there effects were more obviously seen in the group.
I would share some examples in my own life either as a father or as a son but I feel it would not reflect accurately on the picture as a whole. I will say this, the saying,"Like father, like son," has endured over time for a reason. Much of a daughters character is seen in her father and rarely do they become exact copies of their mothers in miniature. I look at my daughters in this light and they all tend to exude the same cornballish, humorous personality that their father has than the more passive -- mature personality of their mother. This is especially evident in my second daughter Bethany who has not only a tender heart (from her mother) but a wry sense of humor that quite often gets her into more trouble and more laughs than the others.
I wonder how life would be different if I had a different father. I wonder if my own personality would be different. I even wonder how life would have been different if I had no father. Heaven knows that had been a possibility a number of times with the various industrial accidents that have been near fatal in my fathers life. Heavy industry s aptly named and when it involves steel which standard measures is in tons, it is no surprise people die while working there.
As for myself, I am quite certain that if I suddenly checked out, either by accident, heart attack, or otherwise, my kids would be affected for life. My wife might easily go insane, and my family's whole world would be shaken, even at its very foundations. I don't plan on going anywhere but life doesn't always go as planned. Sometimes, God has very different ideas for our future than we do. I am assured that His plans, are calculated to give us the best chance at returning to Him, and our Heavenly Mother, with everyone who will, living and the dead. After all isn't every father's greatest hope that their children will return to them someday as equals in their sight, knowing what they know , doing as they do, and becoming what they themselves are?

No comments: