Followers

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Resolutions Bah Humbug!?

A new year is coming which is no news to anyone else, but with it comes resolutions of all kinds. Resolutions or promises to oneself and others to be better int he new year are often overly optimistic and usually involve bars set too high, leading to a quick and often messy abandoning of those goals. I for one have a weight loss goal and I now have the tools I had requested to do it. I won't assign any numbers to what I want to lose, I just want to do better. Sounds good, right?

I guess there is also a danger to setting the bar too low. All of us need to progress right? And many of us need to progress faster than we are currently progressing. I think it would be best to start with one of the more impactful areas of our life which for me comes back to weight loss. So many of the areas in my life would go better if I just lost weight. I am talking a lot of weight too not just a problem ten pounds keeping me away from my favorite pants. I am talking about 150 lbs total. I weight 350 so I am not unreasonable in my desire. Do I expect to lose it all this year? No. If I could get down to 275 this year and then get down to 200 by the following year, I would be doing good. So I am going to go for that. I will resolve to lose 75 pounds this year/get down to 275 pounds. That would be life changing in and of itself. This isn't a resolution I can break in the first day or so as it is an ongoing effort toward a goal at the end of the year and it just gets harder if I procrastinate but not impossible unless I make no progress till around September.

I will keep a log here and just give a total weight at the end of each of my posts throughout the year to keep everyone updated.

I have other resolutions as well and they are of a similar nature in that they are progressive over the year and not of the "screw up once, that's it" kind of goal.

Let me know of your thoughts if you have any. I would be glad to hear them.

No comments: